Skip to content
3arabawy
3arabawy

Hossam el-Hamalawy

  • Home
  • About
  • Archive
  • Blog
  • Photos
  • Books
3arabawy

Hossam el-Hamalawy

Tag: courts

Halt execution of accused Taba bombers, says HRW

Posted on 12/06/200715/01/2021 By 3arabawy

HRW joins the calls to halt the execution of three of the alleged Taba bombers, who were tried in one of Hosni’s kangaroo courts last year:

Egypt should not execute three men sentenced to death by a State Security Court for the 2004 bombings in Taba, Human Rights Watch said today. In a letter to Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Human Rights Watch said that because of serious trial irregularities, including allegations of torture, coerced confessions, and prolonged incommunicado detention, the accused should be tried again before a court whose proceedings comply with international fair trial standards.
“If the government thinks these men are to blame for the outrages in Taba, it should prosecute them in a fair trial,” said Joe Stork, deputy director of Human Rights Watch’s Middle East division. “Executing these men after such deeply flawed trials would be a travesty of justice.”
On November 30, 2006 a State Security Emergency Court in Isma`iliyya sentenced Yunis Muhammad Mahmud `Alyan, Usama Muhammad `Abd al-Ghani al-Nakhlawi, and Muhammad Jayiz Sabbah Hussein to death after convicting them in connection with the October 7, 2004 bombings in and around the resort city of Taba. This court, established under Egypt’s Emergency Law, does not provide the right of appeal. Only the President of the Republic can order a retrial or alter the sentences. Human Rights Watch said it had information that legal advisers in Mubarak’s office recently recommended that he ratify the death sentences against these men.

El-Adly Videogate: The Bulaq Police sadists trial

Posted on 09/06/200723/12/2020 By 3arabawy

Wael Abbas covers the last two trial sessions of Captain Islam Nabih and Corporal Reda Fathi, the Bulaq el-Dakrour Police Station torturers.

Solidarity with CTUWS

Posted on 09/06/200715/01/2021 By 3arabawy

The Administrative Court will look this Tuesday 12 June, into the lawsuit filed by the Center for Trade Union and Workers’ Services against the Cairo Governor and the head of Helwan Municipality, demanding revoking the decrees to close down the labor rights NGO.

The CTUWS has been a target for security crackdowns after the government blamed its activists of involvement in the recent wave of workers strikes. The Center’s branch in Naga’a Hammadi was closed down on 29 March, followed by the closure of the Mahalla branch 11 April, and finally the main office in Helwan 25 April.

For more details in Arabic, to download the CTUWS press release.

Express your solidarity by showing up at the State Council (Magless el-Dawla, Located in Dokki, Giza, besides the Cairo Sheraton) 9 am on Tuesday.

  • Previous
  • 1
  • …
  • 36
  • 37
  • 38
  • …
  • 50
  • Next

Search 3arabawy

Follow 3arabawy

  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Instagram
  • Bluesky
  • X
  • YouTube
  • Spotify
©2026 3arabawy