Pen International denounces the latest crackdowns in Egypt.
These are some titles I recommend to understand Egypt’s 2013 military coup.
- Coups and Revolutions: Mass Mobilization, the Egyptian Military, and the United States from Mubarak to Sisi… by Amy Holmes.
- Militarizing the Nation: The Army, Business, and Revolution in Egypt… by Zeinab Abul-Magd.
- Military Politics of the Contemporary Arab World… by Philippe Droz-Vincent.
- Sinai: Egypt’s Linchpin, Gaza’s Lifeline, Israel’s Nightmare… by Mohannad Sabry.
- Sameh Naguib’s chapter in Revolutionary Rehearsals in the Neoliberal Age.
Retired Major General Hassan Moussa, the new executive director of the Zamalek Sports Club, is the former Central Security Forces commander who personally led on the ground the operation to suspend the Rabaa Square sit-in, resulting in the biggest massacre in the history of modern Egypt.