Skip to content
3arabawy
3arabawy

Hossam el-Hamalawy

  • Home
  • About
  • Archive
  • Blog
  • Photos
  • Books
3arabawy

Hossam el-Hamalawy

Tag: torture

Rights groups criticize the arrest of an Egyptian blogger

Posted on 17/04/200716/01/2021 By 3arabawy

An AP report by Nadia Abou El-Magd:

International and local rights groups on Tuesday demanded the release of an Egyptian blogger and member of the banned Muslim Brotherhood who was arrested after reporting on torture.
Abdel Moneim Mahmoud, 27, a well-known blogger and correspondent for the London-based Al-Hewar Arabic TV Channel, was arrested early Sunday at Cairo International Airport.
Mahmoud is a member of the Muslim Brotherhood _ Egypt’s largest opposition group that has been banned since 1954. Egyptian authorities accuse him of being part of banned group and publishing and disseminating news about torture at police stations, his lawyer Islam Lutfi told The Associated Press.
He was ordered detained for 15 days pending an investigation, Lutfi and police said.
Paris-based Reporters Without Borders on Tuesday called for Mahmoud’s immediate release and voiced concern over the “increasingly repressive policies toward online dissent” in Egypt.
Elijah Zarwan, a Cairo-based researcher with New York-based Human Rights Watch, said Mahmoud’s arrest was another example of how the Egyptian government was prosecuting a journalist because he reported on human rights abuses.
“The government should focus its energies on ending the abuses, not silencing those who expose them,” Zarwan said.
Mahmoud’s arrest comes two months after another Egyptian blogger, Abdel Kareem Nabil, was sentenced to four years in prison for insulting Islam and President Hosni Mubarak. The U.S. and several rights groups have criticized Egypt for his conviction.
“The Egyptian government has now detained bloggers for criticizing Islam and for belonging to a group that promotes it. The real targets are free speech and those who use this right to criticize the government,” Zarwan said.
Mahmoud spent six months in prison last year and a few weeks in jail in early 2003 for belonging to the Brotherhood. In recent months, authorities have stepped up their crackdown against the Brotherhood, arresting dozens.
In late March, Mahmoud told a conference about torture in Cairo that he was tortured during his 2003 detention. On his blog, he also campaigned against transferring civilians to military courts.
Last week, Amnesty International accused Egypt of systematic torture in prisons and police stations. It warned that human rights abuses were likely to worsen because of constitutional amendments approved last month that suspended civil rights in terror investigations and enabled the state to prosecute civilians in military courts. Egypt rejected the report, calling it inaccurate and unfair.

Mubarak’s regime rejects Amnesty International report

Posted on 16/04/200727/12/2020 By 3arabawy

Via AP:

Egypt on Thursday rejected a report by a leading human rights group that accused the country of systematic abuse against prisoners, calling it inaccurate and unfair.
Amnesty International’s report Wednesday said 18,000 people were in Egyptian jails without trial, some for more than a decade. It said torture was pervasive in police stations and prisons.
“The Egyptian government is offended by the latest report which included inaccurate and biased information about the state of human rights in Egypt,” the Foreign Ministry said in a statement.
London-based Amnesty warned rights abuses were likely to worsen because of constitutional amendments approved last month that suspended civil rights in terror investigations and enabled the state to prosecute civilians in military courts.
The Foreign Ministry said Egypt has made “real and continuous achievements in the field of human rights,” citing the establishment of the National Council of Human Rights, a state-appointed body chaired by former U.N. Secretary-General Boutros Boutros Ghali.
The council has been accused by local rights groups of failing to challenge the state. But last month it raised eyebrows by accusing authorities of numerous violations in the referendum on the constitutional amendments.

You can read Amnesty’s report here.

And here’s an AFP story by Paul Schemm:

Amnesty says Egypt rights situation getting worse
CAIRO, April 11, 2007 (AFP) – Amnesty International on Wednesday strongly condemned what it termed the “systematic abuses” of human rights in Egypt, particularly in light of recently passed amendments to the constitution.
Wide powers for security services, systematic torture of detainees, the use of unjust courts were all cited by the report from the London-based rights organization as evidence of a worsening situation in Egypt where even the few constitutional protections are being rolled back.
“I would say that it is worse in the sense that the few safeguards that we had in the constitution are now being attacked,” Hassiba Hadj Sahraoui, Amnesty’s Middle East deputy director told reporters, referring to the amendments passed in a sparsely attended referendum March 26.
“Torture and other ill-treatment, arbitrary arrests and detention, and grossly unfair trails before emergency and military courts have all been been key features of Egypt’s 40-year state of emergency and counter-terrorism campaign,” said the report.
In particular it highlighted a new anti-terrorism law being prepared by the government to replace the old emergency law under which some 18,000 people are estimated by Amnesty to be detained without charge.
“What we see and we fear with the new law is a broad definition of terrorism crime that would criminalise the peaceful excercise of rights that are guaranteed internationally,” Sahraoui said.
The report, “Systematic abuses in the name of security”, also highlighted how the United States and other countries used the process of “renditions” to send terrorism suspects to Egypt to be interrogated, in contravention of international law.
According to Egyptian Prime Minister Ahmad Nazif in 2005, between 60 and 70 terrorism suspects had been sent for interrogation to Egypt since 2001 despite the widespread use of torture and lack of accountability of security services.
“No judicial control can be exercised over the conduct and activities of the General Intelligence and the State Security who would most likely be responsible for detaining the returnees,” noted the report.
One of the most high profile of such detainees, Osama Mustafa Hassan, also known as Abu Omar, appeared at Wednesday’s press conference to speak with one of the Amnesty researchers, but without making any public comments.
Abu Omar was kidnapped off the streets of Milan by the American CIA and spirited to Egypt where he says he was tortured for seven months by security officials in a case documented by the Amnesty report.
Though cautioned by security officials not to speak to the press, he has since appeared at a number of trials and conferences to speak out about his abuse by security forces.
Egyptian officials have repeatedly sought to justify their recent efforts to curtail rights as being similar to anti-terrorism legislation found in other countries, including the United States.
Curtis Goering, senior deputy executive director of Amnesty’s American branch, attended the conference to warn Egypt against following the example of the US’s Patriot Act anti-terrorism legislation.
“I am here today to say to the government of Egypt, don’t follow the US example,” he said, condemning the Patriot Act as “the most radical assault on constitutional rights and freedom in decades.”
“Anti-terrorism legislation which disregards basic human rights will not and does not make us any safer, whether in the US or Egypt,” he said.

Moneim detained

Posted on 15/04/200727/12/2020 By 3arabawy

Bad news. Muslim Brotherhood journalist Abdel Moneim Mahmoud was detained by Mubarak’s Gestapo early Sunday 1am, at the Cairo International Airport. Ikwan Web reports:

Egyptian Security forces arrested blogger and Ikhwanweb correspondent Abdel Moneum Mahmoud at Cairo International Airport today while on his way to begin seven Arab countries tour to prepare a report about the status of human rights in the Arab world for the British satellite channel Al Hiwar. Monem had already boarded the plane when he was later pulled out by security forces.
After the arrest and sentencing of blogger Abdel Karim Sulieman to four years in prison for his internet blog, the Egyptian government seems to be pressing ahead with its campaign to silence all voices of civil dissent and encroaching on freedom of expression by arresting or intimidating bloggers and political activists.

Last time I saw Moneim was during the recently held Cairo Social Forum, where he spoke at the Anti-Torture Forum:

My solidarity goes to Moneim and his family. I hope to see him and all the political detainees in Mubarak’s gulags released soon.

  • Previous
  • 1
  • …
  • 185
  • 186
  • 187
  • …
  • 230
  • Next

Search 3arabawy

Follow 3arabawy

  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Instagram
  • Bluesky
  • X
  • YouTube
  • Spotify
©2026 3arabawy