Skip to content
3arabawy
3arabawy

Hossam el-Hamalawy

  • Home
  • About
  • Archive
  • Blog
  • Photos
  • Books
3arabawy

Hossam el-Hamalawy

Tag: usa

Updates from Mahalla: James arrested!

Posted on 10/04/200805/02/2021 By 3arabawy

US photojournalist and friend James Buck has been arrested two minutes ago in Mahalla, where families of detainees are staging a hunger strike demanding the release of their loved ones from the custody of Mubarak’s pigs…

6:25PM: James is in Mahalla’s 1st Police Station, where many young men and children had been detained and abused since Sunday by Mubarak’s pigs…

6:40PM: Muhammad el-Attar, one of the factory organizers who sabotaged the 6th of April strike, and Mubarak’s Labor Minister Aisha Abdel Hadi exchange praise on TV. Attar also accused “communist groups operating in the Ghazl el-Mahalla factories” of creating troubles… Disgusting!

6:53PM: James’ mobile phone is dead. We need lawyers to go there as soon as possible, coz I don’t expect the US embassy in Cairo is gonna do anything for him… They are too busy sleeping with Mubarak and the NDP “moderates” in the same cozy bed…

7:55PM: I managed to get thru to James. He’s still detained inside Mahalla’s 1st Police Station, with his interpreter. Officers are intimidating him to handover the audiorecordings and photos he took earlier of the detainees’ families.

8:57PM: James and his Egyptian translator Muhammad Mar’ie are still in police custody. James says they are subject to intimidation. The police refuses his repeated requests to contact the US embassy in Cairo.. More worryingly, the police told James: “Forget about your translator… He’s a dead man!”

9:15PM: Police tried to arrest another foreign journalist again, a Japanese reporter who showed to interview the detainees’ families, but he managed to escape with the help of the local citizens. In other developments Journalist Amina Khairy, who was arrested yesterday when she tried interviewing the detainees’ families too, will be interrogated at the Tanta Prosecutor’s Office today on charges of “inciting riots” and “obstructing police work”!!

9:50PM: James and Mari’e are still in police custody. James, however, managed to speak to the US embassy in Cairo. The embassy woman who replied, told him: “There isn’t much I can do for you. I don’t know the laws in Egypt. If they [police] want your bag give it to them, or they’ll take it by force.” (Shokran ya Embassy for the advise and help!!!) The pigs are now going thru James’ bag as I’m writing, and having a look at his flash drive that includes the photos he snapped..

10:25PM: James and Mari’e are still in custody. Police is threatening to take Mari’e to the Tanta Prison. I have to leave the house now for my seminar. So I won’t be in front of the computer. Fellow journalists and bloggers, please call up James on +20168734415.. Stay in touch with him and don’t let him feel he’s alone in this. I’m gonna try to post any update I receive, while I’m away from the computer screen, on twitter.

9AM: I’ve been updating my twitter whenever I spoke with or SMSed James.. It’s Friday morning now in Mahalla… James has started a hunger strike demanding his release together with Mari’e… They were taken earlier to the Prosecutor’s Office for interrogation after police, according to Mari’e, charged them with “attempting to overthrow the govt.. and inciting riots”!!! The prosecutor ordered their release sometime after 2am, only to be kidnapped again by Mubarak’s pigs as they were leaving the Prosecutor’s building at 2:30am.. The two are now illegally detained in Mahalla’s 1st Police Station. James has already missed his flight back to California, scheduled this early morning.

9:28AM: There’s a lawyer now inside the police station with James and Mari’e. Police has offered again to release James while keeping Muhammad in custody. James refused, and still insists on not leaving the station without his translator.

10:05AM: SMS from James: “Thanks so much for the tireless work and all the support everyone! Got a few hours sleep but will continue hunger strike til both free. Bless you all”… This was followed by another: “Police stations talking about big demo planned today in mhala after noon prayer. Be very careful in mhala may easily get arested”

10:26AM: Gotta say that’s a good one: “Mhala police off. Asked me, i haven’t slept in years. They make us work 24 hours no food. Not enuf pay. What i should do? I said strike.” Our friend Ibrahim el-Hodeiby expresses similar sentiments.

3000 Hearts

Posted on 02/04/200812/01/2021 By 3arabawy

A 2004 art installation, by Mariana Viturro and Angelique-Marie Gonzales, commemorating the at least 3000 people who have died or been killed trying to cross the US-Mexico border since operation Gatekeeper began in 1994. Each heart represents one of them. [St. Peter’s Housing Committee, San Francisco.]

3 mil corazones

Revolt spreads across Iraq

Posted on 28/03/200805/02/2021 By 3arabawy

Simon Assaf reports:

A mass revolt has broken out across Iraq against attempts by the US and its allies to crush the Shia Muslim resistance to the occupation.
This began when Iraqi troops backed by US forces laid siege to Basra earlier this week. British troops were driven out of Basra late last year.
The Iraqi government claims that the current violence is a fight between different Shia Muslim factions, and an attempt by the government to cleanse Basra of “criminal elements”.
It is nothing of the sort. The occupation is attempting to provoke Shia Muslim areas into a “showdown” that has been a central aim of the US troop “surge”.
The aim of the siege is to crush the nationalist movement headed by rebel Shia cleric Muqtada al-Sadr.
Sadr’s Mehdi Army is a key element in the popular resistance to the occupation.
The Mehdi Army fought alongside Sunni Muslim insurgents during the first uprising against the occupation in 2004.
Sadr recently launched the Reform and Reconciliation Project with sections of the Sunni resistance.
According to reports, Iraqi troops stormed Basra’s main market on Tuesday – the first day of the assault. Soldiers set fire to the stores of food, cut electricity and water supplies. They are attempting to drive out the 2.5 million civilians trapped inside the city. There are reports that US troops have now taken over from Iraqi soldiers after they failed to capture the city.
In a message relayed to Socialist Worker from Hassan Jumaa, the leader of Iraq’s main oil workers’ union, said that Basra rose in revolt.
“The assault began with intense shelling and fire from all sorts of weapons,” the message states.
“The army that is laying siege to Basra is so large that it stretches from the Dhi Qar province all the way to the city.
“The heroic neighborhood of Hayania is preventing the puppet Iraqi army from entering the city. There is great popular discontent. Non stop phone contacts since Tuesday shows this very clearly.”
Hayania is one of the poorest area of Basra and a stronghold of the Mehdi Army.
Jumaa said, “The [poor] neighborhoods of Khamsa Meel and Qiblas are steadfast. Fighting is going on where I live.”
The attack on Basra has sparked a mass revolt across the Shia majority areas of Iraq.

UPDATE: A good posting by Lenin.

  • Previous
  • 1
  • …
  • 86
  • 87
  • 88
  • …
  • 149
  • Next

Search 3arabawy

Follow 3arabawy

  • Facebook
  • Flickr
  • Instagram
  • Bluesky
  • X
  • YouTube
  • Spotify
©2026 3arabawy